Last Updated on December 8, 2020 by Ian McEwan
When you delete a folder using either the Delete Button or the Right-click then Delete option, the folder is temporarily deleted. The folder is then transferred and stored in the recycle bin. Recovering deleted folder from the Recycle Bin can easily be achieved with a few clicks.
However, when you permanently delete a folder using the Shift + Delete button or emptying your Recycle Bin, restoring is not an alternative. Nevertheless, there are procedures and methods used to recover permanently deleted folders.
In this article, we are going to discuss a few methods that can help you recover permanently deleted folders in Windows 10/8/7.
Sometimes even when you back up your data, there are possibilities that some folders are left out. Maybe you forgot to include a particular folder, or your hard drive may fail just before your monthly backup. No worry. Data recovery tools come in handy in this kind of situations.
Below are some of the top rated data recovery software and how exactly you can use them to recover permanently deleted folders.
Aiseesoft Data Recovery is a recovery program with a user-friendly interface that makes folder recovery easy. This program recovers data up to 500MB on both local and removable drives. It also allows you to scan a chosen drive and displays recoverable folders.
Upgrading Aiseesoft Data Recovery to Pro opens up features such as advanced scanning and the number of computers on which it can work. Aiseesoft Data Recovery has a high success rate due to its simplicity and effectiveness.
Installing Wondershare RecoveritWondershare Recoverit to another disk when recovering your folder is the best option. Trying to install Wondershare Recoverit to the same disk after losing your file may lead to the overwriting of the very file you are trying to recover.
Recovery with Wondershare Recoverit comes in two ways; wizard mode and advanced mode. The wizard mode gives a guide on the folder recovery process. If you want a more controlled detailed search, the advanced mode is the best option.
As long as performance goes, Stellar Data RecoveryStellar Data Recovery software is equipped with advanced search engines for both quick and deep scan options. It has plenty of offers to users trying to recover deleted folders, emails, photos, etc. This utility is one of the best data recovery software for Windows 10/8/7.
Its preview feature allows users to view recoverable folders and retrieve what they require. Further, the software has an interface that enables users to select the location of folder recovery from both internal and external drives. It can also retrieve data stored in lost partitions.
Folders in Windows 10/8/7 have different versions if you have edited them more than once. Therefore, it is possible to restore a deleted folder by creating a new folder with the same name. For instance, if you lost a folder named ‘job update’ you will have to undergo the following steps to recover the folder.
– Create a new folder with the same name.
– Right-click on the folder and select the ‘properties‘ option.
– A new window will appear. Click on the ‘previous version‘ tab.
– Select the file and click on the restore tab to undelete.
However, you should keep in mind that your computer doesn’t keep deleted folders for a long time. After a folder is deleted, Windows will mark the sector previously occupied by the folder as empty. Any new data added can be written in that sector overwriting the deleted file. Once this happens, you can no longer recover your folder.
If you adhere to data safety practices, there is a good chance that you could recover any deleted folder in Windows 10/8/7. To recover a folder using this method, ensure the drive containing your backup is available. Then follow the steps below.
-In Windows 7/8, open Start and then select Control Panel.
– Select System and Maintenance.
– Select Backup and Restore.
– The Backup and Restore Window will open.
– Click on Restore my Files button.
– Navigate and locate your intended folder. Click Next.
– Chose the location you want your folder to be restored to.
– Click on the link to view the restored folder.
– Click on Finish to close the dialog box.
– In Windows 10, click on the Start button.
– Then click on Settings.
– Tap on Update & Security.
– Click on Backup.
– Then select Backup using File History.
– Click on the More options icon.
– Scroll down the page and select Restore files from a current backup.
– Insert the name of the folder you’re looking for or use the left and right arrows to navigate and find your folder.
– Select the folder you want to restore to its original location then click the restore button.
To prevent data loss, it is advisable to regularly back up important folders. You can backup your data on a cloud or separate drive. Further, you should have a data recovery software installed as they are helpful in data loss circumstances.