How to Recover Deleted Facebook Messages (Total Solution 2023)
Last Updated on January 13, 2023 by Jason Ben
As humans, we commit errors and sometimes mistakenly delete important chats and messages from our Facebook accounts. This often leaves many people in distress because of the official Facebook policy that such deleted information can no longer be retrieved. However, there are effective techniques that could be used to recover and access those valuable messages. As experts in phone data recovery, we bring to our esteemed customers some tested and trusted hacks which can be used to easily recover deleted Facebook messages.
- -From Desktop:
- -From Cell Phone:
Facebook allows its users to download copies of Facebook info, such as chats, emails, messages, friends, and many more. To safeguard yourself from possible data loss during the process, ensure that you have a copy. The steps to follow include:
- Step 1.Log into your Facebook account and go to the "Settings".
- Step 2.You will see the "Download a copy of your Facebook data" link right under the tab "General Account Settings". Click on it.
- Step 3.Click on the “Start My Archive" bar.
- Step 4.Enter your password and you will be promptly notified that a message has been sent to your inbox.
- Step 5.Find the notification message and click on the displayed link to download the required archive.
- Step 6.Click on "Download Archive". A zip file that contains all your Facebook data will be downloaded directly to your computer.
You can search for those deleted messages from the files if you kept a copy.
Open this zip file and then you will see a folder of HTML files. Proceed to select the file tagged "Messages". All your Facebook chats can be found there.
NOTE: If those messages were deleted before downloading the archive, you won't be able to find them in the archive. However, you can recover other lost data files on your phone apart from Facebook messages by using a unique tech tool called DataKit Data Recovery.
-From Cell Phone:
-On Android Phones
You first need to ascertain whether the chats are archived or otherwise. When archived, your Facebook messages wouldn't be found on your existing conversation list, though they could be accessed.
In order to archive your Facebook chats on an Android phone:
- Open the Facebook app.
- Long press on the specific conversation you intend to archive and tap the pop-up "archive" dialogue.
- The conversation will disappear immediately from your conversation list.
If a Facebook message has been archived, it can be easily accessed. On the search bar of the Messenger, input the name of the person you had the conversation with. Your archived chats with that person will be shown. If you log into to your Facebook account, you can easily locate the archived messages by clicking on "Messages", then "More", and then "Archived" tabs, consecutively.
-On iOS Devices
On iOS phones, you can easily recover archived messages whenever you so desire. If you decide to archive your Facebook chats on iOS devices, open the Messenger app and select "Messages". Highlight the messages you intend to archive, tap archive, and delete those messages from your list of messages. Later, you can recover the hidden Facebook chats by following these simple steps:
- Tap "More" under the "Messages" tab.
- Select "Archived".
- Input the name of the person you had the conversations with and click on his/her name to open the "Actions" tab.
- Select "Unarchive".
That's it. It's very easy to unarchive your archived Facebook messages on iOS devices.
However, if you've deleted those messages before archiving, DataKit Data Recovery tool is your best bet. Its advantages over any other phone data recovery software include:
- Ability to restore your lost files without losing the current ones.
- Unparalleled ability to retrieve deleted data files from diverse data types created on different iOS/Android devices.
- Ability to preview your backup files before retrieving them.
- Proven ability to recover data from both iCloud and iTunes backup.
-How to Recover Deleted Messenger Messages from Android Phone Memory
The official Facebook policy indicates that all deleted messages cannot be retrieved. However, don't panic. Facebook always keep a copy of its data logs on your Android phone memory. With special tech tools, you can recover and access such deleted messages from your phone memory. Steps to follow include:
- Simply launch the "file explorer" app on your Android device. If you don't have it, download the file explorer from your phone's Google Play store app. The app will help to access your entire Facebook folder.
- Click on “Internal Storage" then “Android", and then "data" consecutively.
- Locate the folder "com.facebook.orca" (which records and stores the data of your Facebook Messenger). In this folder, tap on "cache" and then "fb_temp" (which houses the backup files automatically stored by Facebook Messenger).
-Alternative Method to Recover Deleted Messages on Facebook Messenger
You can also recover deleted Messenger messages by simply connecting your Android device to a computer. Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable, open your device, and tap on these folders "SD card”, then "cache", then "fb_temp" consecutively.
-How to Recover Deleted Facebook Messages on iPhone with iOS Data Recovery
In case you mistakenly deleted precious chats on your iOS device, here are useful instructions to recover such info.
- Step 1: The special software has Windows and Mac versions. Download and install it as appropriate.
- Step 2: After it has finished downloading, the program will be launched automatically. Connect your computer to your iPhone using USB cord. The software will take just a few seconds to detect your device.
- Step 3: After the iPhone has been detected, you'll be presented with 3 recovery modes namely
- Recover from iOS Device;
- Recover from iTunes Backup File;
- Recover from iCloud Backup File.
- Step 4: After the scanning process is completed, the scan result will be listed in the left sidebar as grouped by file types. Tap the "Messages" icon from the sidebar, you will be able to preview the details on the right.
Select the appropriate recovery mode.
Check your preferred items and click on "Recover" to save these items onto your computer. Pronto! You have your deleted Facebook chats back.
The simple steps are outlined above are quite tested and trusted. The iOS Data Recovery/Android Data Recovery and Backup software is also a proven tool for restoring lost Facebook data on both Android and iOS devices. It's highly recommended for our teeming fans and we welcome your feedbacks.