How Does iCloud Work
Last Updated on November 2, 2023 by Ian McEwan
Apple iCloud enables you to back up your essential files on your iOS device or Mac computer wherever and whenever. Are you wondering about Apple’s iCloud, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Backup, including the disadvantages of iCloud and what to do when iCloud Backup not working? Please read the following article.
- Part 1: What is iCloud?
- Part 2: What is the iCloud Drive?
- Part 3: What is the iCloud Photo Library?
- Part 4: What is the iCloud Backup&Restore?
- Part 5: What are the disadvantages of iCloud?
- Part 6: What should I do when iCloud Backup not working?
- Part 7: How to Selectively Back Up iPhone Data with iMyFone D-Port Pro
iCloud is a cloud storage and cloud computing service designed by Apple Inc. The service provides its users with means to safely and securely save the files, photos, apps, videos, and so on — and keeps them renewed across all the devices. Thus, you can make use of what you want, whenever and wherever you want it. Of course, it is also available to share with other users and recover the lost data.
iCloud Drive is a personal cloud storage drive, where you can store all your documents. It just like you would store files on your hard drive. The difference between traditional way and iCloud Drive is that iCloud Drive stores them on Apple's iCloud servers instead of USB Flash Drive or your personal Hard Drive. And you can also invite people to view, download, or work on a document with you wherever without creating copies or email attachments.
As a part of Apple’s iCloud, the iCloud Photo Library is responsible for storing all of the user’s photos and videos you take with iPad or iPhone. Because all of them will be automatically uploaded to expand more space on your iPhone or iPad to take more great shots. In addition, it allows users to show off photos and videos that you want to share with others.
iCloud will back up your iOS devices every night when your iPhone or iPad is connected to power and Wi-Fi with the screen locked. In this way, it is easy for you to restore all your data. When you get a new device, it is available to recover from iCloud so you will not lose anything.
More about iCloud Backup:
- Selective Back Up iPhone Data
- Backup Photos to iCloud Automatically
- Backup iPhone Pictures to iCloud Manually
More about iCloud Restore:
- Firstly, you need to have an internet connection.
- Secondly, not all data is included in the iCloud backup.
- Thirdly, the free storage is limited.
Whenever you want to backup any information, it is necessary to be connected to Wi-Fi. Because the service of backup will fail without it.
For example, media files, you didn’t buy at the iTunes Store, will not be included.
Every user only has 5GB of free iCloud storage to get started. This storage is enough in the beginning, but later on, you will definitely need more space for all kinds of data. If you don’t have enough storage, failed iCloud backup will be caused.
iCloud backup is significant. You’d better regularly back up your iPhone. However, failed iCloud backups are usually caused by two or three things: an unreliable Wi-Fi connection, an outage in Apple's iCloud service, or a lack of iCloud storage space. So what should I do when iCloud Backup not working? Thankfully, there is an application to do this——iMyFone
iOS Data Backup & Restore, an expert in iPhone backup and restore service, is designed specifically for iPad/iPhone/iPod touch users. It can not only help users scan through data and selectively back up iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but also be used to selectively restore the data from backups if needed. You can back up messages, photos, voice memos, videos, call history and much more with just a few clicks. It has a lot of advantages which makes it the best choice for selectively backing up your iPhone data.
With the following steps, it is easy for you to selectively back up your iPhone data.
- Step 1. Download and install iOS Data Backup & Restore on your computer. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Step 2. Open the program, click Backup & Export from iOS Device and then you can see what can be backed up from your iPhone.
- Step 3. Click Export Data to back up all the data on your iPhone. You can also click Back Up WeChat, Back Up WhatsApp, Back Up Messages to separately back up them from your iPhone.
- Step 4. Select the data types you want to backup. Then click Next to start the process of backup.
- Step 5. After that, D-Port will do the rest for you automatically. You can then view the data which has been backed up and restore it if you would like.